Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
Add "All Pages"
Feedjit Live Blog Stats
Grade 5 (year 6)
The Writing Process
Daily Edits (Education World)
- Learn interesting facts about animals you know (and some animals you may not know) as you reinforce basic skills of capitalization, punctuation, spelling, and grammar. Save or print the PDF
Great Source I-Write
- Tips and tools to achieve great writing for students(grades 5-12), parents and educators.
Six Writing Traits
- Activities and a power point presentation for each of the six traits
- Writing tips for parts of a paragraph, the writing process & different types of paragraphs
Wacky Web Tales
This is an online version of Madlibs, where the students can brush up on their parts of speech, while having fun making a silly story.
Mechanics & Online Interactive Activities
- FreeRice is a non-profit website run by the United Nations World Food Program. For each answer you get right, they will donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program.
Grammar Games Online
- Practice your grammar skills with these games
- Fun with grammar games
HMH - Grammar Practice Park
- Explore the park and practice your grammar skills in these games for grades 3-5.
Internet 4 Classrooms
- Activities by grade level to practice state assessed skills.
- Fun poetry activities created by children’s poet Bruce Lansky
ETTC's Poetry Forms
- Choose your poetry form, and then just add words to make the poem your own.
Poetry 4 Kids
- Poems for prompts
- Learn the poetry writing techniques of metaphor and simile.
- Teach poetry, poetry theater, & activites
Creative Writing Prompts
- Use the creative writing prompts and creative writing ideas to create stories, poems and other creative pieces from your imagination.
- Tons of reading and writing activities. Make sure to check out the writing theme unit for daily writing prompts. Some material requires a paid membership.
- 6+1 Trait® Writing Model of Instruction and Assessment with writing prompts
- This site includes daily writing prompts, the writing process, and writing lessons for grades 1-8. There is also a link to meet authors and many resources not just limited to language arts.
- A variety of topics to research, draw and explore. Do a search for essay topics or graphic organizers.
Journal Buddies: Holiday
- Holiday writing prompts
Kim's Korner for Teacher Talk
- Six Trait Analytic Writing Model: Lesson ideas for the traits, prompts and other resources
Magic Pen Story Starters
- This page contains a number of story starters which can be used as a stimulus for creative writing.
Story Starters (Education World)
- A teacher resource for speculative prompt ideas
Story Starters (Scholastic)
- Spin the one lever or all to get inspired
Super Teacher Worksheets
- Free creative writing prompts, grammar, reading comprehension, math worksheets and more
TUSD Stats: Achievement and Accountability
- A collection of monthly writing prompts by grade level
- Writing resources, lessons, and more. Some available for free and some for a required fee.
Teacher Created Prompts for NJ ASK
- Speculative prompts
The Educator's Reference Desk
- Writing lesson plans by grade.
The Teacher's Corner
- Daily writing prompts, thematic units and many other resources
The Writing Site
- Primary and intermediate writing activities and prompts
Think Quest Mysterious Story Starters
- One way to start a mystery story is to use writing prompts or story starters. On this site, you will find some characters, plots, and writing prompts to help you get started on your own mystery.
Think Quest Story Starters
- Here are some story starters that might help you get your story started. Many of these ideas came from the Reading Teacher Book of Lists
Web English Teacher
- Collection of creative writing exercises
- Check out the monthly journal topics
Writing Bugs (Education World)
- Select a monthly or anytime writing bug activity for great writing ideas and fun
Writing Prompts from Associated Content
- Many topics, including holidays, to write about
The Internet Resources
501 Writing Prompts
- Get persuasive, expository, narrative and literary response prompts
A Paragraph a Week
- Write about a different topic every week
- Stuck for a writing topic? Use the Random Writing Prompt Generator (formerly from the Writingfix.com)
EDinformatics: Education for the Information Age
- Released test items and sample questions from most states. Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Graphic Organizers from Houghton Mifflin. Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader
Elementary Language Arts
- A collection of language arts links
Explanatory Prompts for NJ ASK Practice
- Explanatory/expository (informative) writing communicates information to the reader to share knowledge or to convey messages, instructions, and ideas.
FL Treasures 4th Gr vocabulary
- FL Treasures 4th Gr vocabulary powerpoint
Interactive Language Websites
- Interactive language arts fun
- Writing ideas by grade
Mrs. Peck's 4th Gr LAL Classroom
- Activities to support Treasures
NJ ASK Grades 3 and 4
- Released sample test items
NJ ASK LAL - Writing
- LAL writing tasks require students to respond in a variety of modes and forms (e.g., expository, persuasive, narrative) and for a variety of purposes, in keeping with standard 3.2 of the CCCS
NJ ASK Strategies
- Resources compiled by Michele Barto, EdD for the SRI/ETTC from teacher training in Stockton College
Real Classroom Ideas
- Excellent resource for graphic organizers
- Have fun writing in a shapebook
- Interactive spelling & editing fun. Type or paste text & click 'Wreck It'
Teach the Children Wall
- A collection of language arts links
Test Prep Elementary Language Arts
- Test prep practice
Unique Teaching Resources
- Creative writing prompts. Also check out each month's themes, holidays, and events.
- Logically structured and creative interactive writing activites and games.Check out the interactive plot creator with over 250 on-line writing prompts ideas.
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"